SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #285 of Old 07-08-2019
Rezz
Trailer Sailer Moderator

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Howdy, y'all!

Life gets in the way of the fun stuff sometimes. At least I've been able to do some work on the boat in the meantime. I've taken off two weeks from work and am in the middle of that time right now.

I've completed one major project: recoring some rotten areas on the hull. I had four trouble spots that were soft and spongy, and luckily only one of them had rotten wood. On the rest of them, the fiberglass sole (cockpit, foredeck, and companionway step) just bowed up from the plywood underneath. I'm not sure how that happened, but those areas are now filled with penetrating epoxy to prevent any issues down the road. I guess if the wood rots anyway, I'll have to tear it out and do the job later with new wood, fiberglass, epoxy and gelcoat.

Two other projects are in progress. The first is redoing all the nonskid on deck. So far I'm about halfway done - I'm grinding down the old nonskid that's molded in and turned all slick. The repainting seems to be going well with some TotalBoat nonskid.

The second is stripping, sanding, and painting the underside of the deck, aka the ceiling belowdecks. I didn't realize how much effort it takes to lie on your back and paint without dripping into your eye or hair. Michelangelo, I don't envy the job you did on that chapel!

Left to do: I bought a new faux teak, aka foam with adhesive backing, to create a nice cabin sole. The carpet currently in place slides and can be a safety hazard. Basically, if my wife slips and hurts herself, she may kill me! I also need to redrill and remount all the stanchions, bow pulpit, and new cleats. I've replaced most of the running rigging and associated hardware on deck as well - so I should be good for almost anything once I'm done. I have four days off two weeks from now, and come hell or high water, I'm hoping to get out for at least three of those days.

I'll try to keep up on the chatter here - maybe I can see some of y'all on the water!

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome