SailNet Community - View Single Post - Child's drowning.
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-14-2019 Thread Starter
Yorksailor

Child's drowning.

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...df0d321752fe26

This is a heart-breaking incident and condolences go to the parents. It is not stated if the child was or was not wearing a lifejacket.

In a previous life, for 25 years, I worked as a doctor in a pediatric intensive care unit. During those 25 years I took care of dozens of tragically injured children including several drownings. When faced with such a case you are the doctor for the entire family and must be sympathetic and none-judgemental. However, that does not mean that you ignore the root cause...small children do not cause their own injuries 90% of serious injuries and drowning are caused by the negligence of the parents/supervisors...if the child is not wearing a lifejacket on the water it is automatically negligence.

Arguments like...'children should be allowed freedom to be children' are only valid up to a point and that point is that you must use common sense. We have raised 3 children and recently 5 grandchildren who have a marvelously adventurous life, sailing, canoeing, skiing, rock climbing, fishing and hunting but they have never been on the water without a lifejacket and on the two occasions one of them went arse over tea kettle into the water they were wearing a life jacket.

I am passionate about lifejackets because the last near-drowing I managed ended up as an organ donor.

Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 07-14-2019 at 08:15 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yorksailor For This Useful Post:
Jeff_H (07-14-2019)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome