SailNet Community - View Single Post - Child's drowning.
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 07-14-2019
chall03
Picnic Sailor

Re: Child's drowning.

That river system is my home cruising ground and while I do not personally know the family involved, I do know of them. We have some mutual cruising friends and my heart goes out to all involved.

I'll make no further comment on the incident other than to say it is an absolute tragedy.

My comments below are general, and our current approach to mitigating this risk as a cruising family though.

1) Swimming Lessons. Both our kids have been in learn to swim programs since they were 3 months old.
2) Lifejackets and HARNESSES. When we were cruising the Australian East Coast our rule on passage was tethered when in the cockpit. If a small child falls overboard in the average conditions there of 25knots and 4 metre seas even in their lifejacket it is not a good situation.
3)Lifejackets in the tender. Always.
4) You don't go on deck without letting an adult know.

The conditions here in the Med are more benign than East Coast Oz, but I can't see us relaxing too much of our rules.

'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing' - Helen Keller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome