SailNet Community - View Single Post - pointing, pinching, VMG
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 07-17-2019 Thread Starter
BarryL

Re: pointing, pinching, VMG

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all of the comments.

On the boat I normally race on I usually trim main. On that boat the owner drives. He's good at it and we are successful. However, he's not a fan of electronics. The trimmers trim and the driver drives. He steers to the tell tails but since no one is looking at VMG I don't know if the VMG would increase if he headed up a little more or down a little. Next time I will use my hand held GPS and try to pay attention to that.

On my boat for upwind work I will set halyard tension, outhaul, headsail cars, backstay, etc for the wind conditions. Then we trim the sails and I steer. On Monday the headsail was in as much as possible. The top third of the leach was against the shrouds so I can't trim in any harder. The mainsheet was on hard and the traveler was used to pull the boom to center line. Normally I would sail to keep the tell tails streaming. Monday was first time I really paid attention to VMG and that's when I noticed VMG increasing when i was 'pinching'. There was minimal weather helm and the boat sails very nicely.

The sails are in good condition. The main is dacon, bought in 2015. The headsail is a 135 laminate, bought in 2016. Bottom is clean, foils clean.

Next time I'm out for a day sail I will do some more testing and tweaking.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome