SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing kayak
Thread: Sailing kayak
View Single Post
post #67 of Old 07-18-2019 Thread Starter
Arcb

Re: Sailing kayak

I discovered an entire new area of kayak sailing this week that was previously unknown to me, and that is the world of folding kayak sailing.

It seems many of the early commercially available kayaks were folding skin on frame kayaks modeled loosely after those of hunters kayaks of the arctic, except beamier and sailable.

Klepper kayaks was an early manufacturer starting some time before world war 1 and still making high quality expedition sailing (and non sailing) kayaks today. These are no back yard toys, they are serious expedition boats. In 1957 it seems a solo transat was completed in one of these 17.5 ft sailing kayaks.

Then in 1933, a British company started manufacturing Folbot folding kayaks. And it seems moved production to the US in 1935. These boats also had fairly nice factory sail rigs including lateen rigs, rudder and lee boards.

Any way, earlier this week I had a trailer sailer I wasn't using up on the classifieds for sale or trade and one of the 1960s Folbot folding sailing kayaks ended up in my front yard

The boat in the vid isn't my boat, but a random vid off the net of of one similar to the one I got my hands on this week.

https://youtu.be/t6HP8z_ilSY

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome