SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 21 Owners
Thread: Cal 21 Owners
View Single Post
post #135 of Old 07-18-2019
silveradoman2

Re: Cal 21 Owners

Since I purchased my Cal 21 I have added and changed a few things.
In trying to make it a one man setup, which being 66 I'm not as strong as I used to be but still, the mast is one heavy piece of metal. So I made the front support with 4" box steel 1/8 " wall. This allowed me to install a 12 volt winch to help step the mast. I use a heavy duty tri pod with a roller on top to act as a fulcrum when raising or lowering. The winch has a remote so I can keep the mast from swinging to one side as it raises. The nice thing is the winch has an auto brake when I don't push the button.

The original winch to keep the boat to the trailer was rusted badly, I replaced it.

I also made a stronger more stable rear mast support. The original was bent and wouldn't stay perpendicular to the transom, making it difficult when rolling the mast across it.

I also changed out the motor mount. The original mount, fiberglass, had signs of cracking and I wasn't able to get the motor out of the water. So I installed a Garelick scissor lift and I am able to get the motor out of the water.

I have attached the pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New heavy duty front mast support with 12 volt winch.jpg (543.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg New winch for boat.jpg (383.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg New rear mast suppot.jpg (417.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Garelick scissor lift mount.jpg (566.1 KB, 7 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome