SailNet Community - View Single Post - keel bolt torque
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 07-19-2019
eherlihy
Learning the HARD way...

Re: keel bolt torque

Note that fiberglass has a finite compressive modulus. While it is higher depending on how much fiber is in the mix, you still need to be careful not to overtorque the nuts, thereby crushing (and weakening) the layup. I regularly remove the nuts, washers, and backing plates on my keel bolts and retorque them to the limit of my strength while using a 25" breaker bar. My guess is that my limit is somewhere around 200 ft/lbs which is more than good enough!

Removing the bolts takes patience because I have to find the spot where the socket grabs the bolt, and I can engage the breaker bar with the socket and still have room to move the breaker bar... and I have to do all of this blind on one of the bolts because it is about 18" under the cabin soule.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome