SailNet Community - View Single Post - Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning
View Single Post
post #127 of Old 07-22-2019
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Motoring from Newport, RI to Annapolis, MD - trip planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I am waiting for the tide to rise here so that I can make it to fuel dock, and looking at tomorrow's planning. If I read it correctly, I want to enter the C&D canal heading west at around high tide so that the ebbing flow pushes me through the canal. High tide there tomorrow is 14:58 (call it 3PM) so with about 50nm from Lewes doing 7 knots on average I'd have 7 hours travel which would have me leave the anchorage at 08:00. If I go at 6 knots then I'd leave at 07:00. Since I'm up early anyway I'll leave a bit earlier and adjust my speed accordingly.
Remember it’s about current not tide. You want to hit the eastern end of the C&D Canal about 2 PM . Even if you are early the current against you is slowing.

You have a 27 mile ride to Betterton from there. ( 15 Canal and 12 Elk River run up from the Bay. You’ve been averaging 8 with no current so no longer than 3.5 hours from there and should arrive by 6 possibly earlier unless weather slows you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome