SailNet Community - View Single Post - Irwin 25
Thread: Irwin 25
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 07-22-2019 Thread Starter
L&DT

Irwin 25

I am finally getting back into sailing after fifty years! My wife and I are looking at an Irwin 25 that is at least 3rd owner and the present owner bought it as an abandoned boat from the marina (on a lake) where it is currently. We can pick this boat up cheaply, very cheaply and aside from some cosmetics she is in great shape for her age. We plan to leave her on the lake, at least for now. I am concerned with a couple of things:

1. I have never sailed a centerboard boat (grew up on a 42' Schooner in Boston), what do I need to know?
2. Current owner doesn't have any manuals......does anyone have an owners manual available electronically for this boat?
3. The mainsail halyard appears to be partially jammed at the mast head....It is set up as a loop with a snap shackle at the head of the main and the other end a snap shackle attached at the same place an being used as a down haul...is this common now?? Has anyone had this jamming problem? I am hesitant to put anyone in a Bosun's chair using the only other spare halyard.
Any information or ideas you may have will be greatly appreciated !!
Attached Images
File Type: png Irwin cabin plan.PNG (160.1 KB, 5 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome