SailNet Community - View Single Post - 40 yr old teak decks
View Single Post
post #31 of Old 07-23-2019
Minnewaska

Re: 40 yr old teak decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
I'm sure cost is a factor, but I think there's more to the decline in teak decks than just that. It's an outdated, inferior material to many minds, and there's a definite trend toward simple and functional. I'm guessing that putting two identical boats side by side, same cost, one with teak decks and the other with synthetic or glass, the majority will choose the latter, maybe by a very wide margin.
I can't say where the majority would come down, but it's true that teak decks are not for everyone. Since it's cheaper not to have them, it stands to reason that would be more popular. Just like an inground pool, they cost more and for some people are a deterrent, while for others an attraction.

Another teak dynamic is that it was being harvested unsustainably and has become harder and even more expensive to source now. The production manufacturers needed so much, it became impractical. I think France, for example, even banned several sources for environmental and social reasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome