SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heave To
Thread: Heave To
View Single Post
post #27 of Old 07-23-2019
eherlihy
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Heave To

ASA MANUAL?!? - You think there is a manual?

ASA publishes a series of books, a test, and a set of standards on their website. How an individual school or instructor prepares their students to meet the standard, or pass the test, is up to the school or the individual instructor. There is no manual or anything resembling an instructor guide for each course.

Only one of the five schools with which I have had experience has a presentation that all of their instructors use. The use of a common presentation means that the material is taught the same way by all of the instructors in every class, and leads to consistent learning. Unfortunately, this school teaches a lot of "Fast-Track courses" ("go from the couch to the captain's chair in a week"), and does not allow their students to keep a copy of the presentation as a refresher after the course.

In my former life I was a "Training Manager," and I was responsible to ensure that my students retain the information that I was presenting to them. I therefore developed a series of copyrighted presentations for ASA 101, 103, 104 and 106 for my use when I teach. I know that Jack Dale has done the same. My students get a PDF copy of my material to use as a reference after the course.

In reality the certification courses that ASA and US/Sailing offer serve the bareboat charter market. They help to market their affiliated schools to people that want to bareboat charter. What these organizations do in their "Bareboat Certification" courses is certify that the people that show up to take expensive boats for a week have an awareness of the COLREGS (Rule 9 is NOT well presented), know that the engine and transmission need oil & cooling, that batteries need to be charged, and have demonstrated some basic sailing skills in moderate conditions. - That's all. It does not certify common sense, or even familliarity with anything other than a charter boat (Hunter, Beneteau, Jeanneau, and becomming more common Lagoon and F-P Catamarans).

I would NOT allow an ASA or US/Sailing "Certified" sailor take the helm of my boat (which is nowhere as new or complex as an Outbound 46) without my supervision - especially in a blow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by eherlihy; 07-23-2019 at 02:16 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome