SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heave To
Thread: Heave To
View Single Post
post #29 of Old 07-23-2019 Thread Starter
Arcb

Re: Heave To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
I believe a craft like that is most securely anchored in depths between 0' and -2' while tied to a tree.
Park it under your jungle hammock

With regards to heaving to in heavy weather, I personally like to actively sail the boat when things get snotty. However, there comes a time when you start getting warn down, you need to eat something, you need to drink something, catch a quick nap or throw up over the side a bunch of times. In that case, heaving to seems like as reasonable a way to take a short break as any.

I have nothing against drogues and sea anchors, those who like them, seem to like them a lot. But heaving to takes a minute. I would think recovering a drogue or sea anchor in snotty conditions could be somewhat more of a time commitment.

I guess I would heave to in heavy weather (to take a break) but not necessarily heave to for heavy weather if that makes sense.

By the way, the day I shot that video we covered quite a distance, I think I was in the boat for 9 hours, so I hove to 3 times, but each time was just for a quick break.
Attached Images
File Type: png kt.png (1.84 MB, 10 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome