SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #328 of Old 07-28-2019
CLOSECALL

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

I don't see a lot on the forum from southern bay sailors but we are here.

I got out for my first real sail since having spinal surgery in April. My wife and I headed out Wednesday morning from Yankee Point and made it all the way to Cape Charles under sail. Things started out pretty calm but by the time we got down the river to near Deltaville it was time to put in a reef. Had a sporty little sail all the way down the bay with northerly winds and following seas. Saw some pretty impressive waves roll under our transom. I won't mention our speed at times because it was unbelievable.

We took a slip in the town harbor. The cement plant at the harbor entrance always drove me nuts because of the noise. It has been shut down for a year and the peace and quiet was great, although it dealt quite a blow to the local economy. Well the plant has been sold and is scheduled to resume operation next month.

The next morning we hoped to sail up to Deltaville, but the northerly kept pushing us south. Halfway across the bay the wind picked up and once again had us shortening sail. This time we only rolled in the headsail a bit and then flew over to Mobjack Bay. We finally gave in and motored up to Fishing Bay for a very nice night on the hook.

Next morning we went to explore a place we had never seen. From Fishing Bay it was a short trip to Milford Haven on Gwynn Island. After the swing bridge opened we followed the channel past a Coast Guard Station, some run down fish houses, and some very posh condos. The final destination was a narrow spit of sand that jutted out into the bay. This is possibly the most remote location on the western shore.

Another long slog back up the Rapp until crossing under the bridge at Whitestone when a breeze filled in and we had a peaceful evening sail back towards the home slip. After getting cleaned up and cooling off we decided it was too nice to stay in the slip and headed back out into the Corrotoman for a night at anchor on the western branch.

We will be taking a longer cruise in September and if the wind cooperates, might make it up north for a change. We have enjoyed time on the Choptank and would like to get back there. Also the Potomac.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome