SailNet Community - View Single Post - Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 08-01-2019 Thread Starter
Arcb

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
In the past, I think youíve mentioned you often camp ashore on your travels. If I didnít have to carry the tent on my back, Iíd get a bloody standup palace and a real household air mattress. Iíd also bring folding lounge chairs. A comfortable chair is the first thing everyone misses, when backpacking. Often the same on smaller boats too. Iíve always liked the Kelly sunshaders too.
All good tips. When we have the sailboat, its like camping with a pick up truck you can pack in so much gear.

We do use a stand up palace. Its a 12x12 gazebo with rain roof, bug netting and wind/sun shades on two sides. Very comfortable and goes up in about 20 minutes. Plus each of us has our own folding chair. We even have a folding high chair for the baby. Camping is no excuse to be uncomfortable we have had situations where we have been weather bound for days on an island. I am pretty cautious about weather when the kids are with me.

For mattresses, we actially use the mattresses off the boat. We just carry them up to our tent. (Marmot Halo 4P).

When I am on my sailing kayak or beach cat, things are a bit more spartan. Hammock strung between two trees with a tarp over it.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome