SailNet Community - View Single Post - Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats
View Single Post
post #16 of Old 08-02-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Provisioning for Gunkholing and Voyaging on Small Light Displacement Sailboats

A 1kw Honda is an amazing luxury, when camping. Much lighter, smaller and even quieter than the more common 2kw.

My son and I brought one, when we used to camp at fly-ins. It would power a purcolator, a couple of small fans, charge phones and other devices. If you still put ice into an electric travel fridge/cooler, you wouldn't have to run it all day, just enough to avoid heat loss, during sunlight. At these fly-ins, you camp next to the runway and there are no shade trees. I'll have to think about that for next time.

Even in a good cooler, ice does not always keep everything inside quite at the right temp for long term storage. Ice melts, open and closing introduces warm air. Any temp is fine (or safe) for beer. Milk or burger can get finicky. Every year, we would try to see how long we could get burger to last. Buy last minute. Don't open, but make patties at the camp. Our last best method was to buy irradiated burger meat, make the patties at home, par-freeze, then vacuum pack the patties and finish freezing solid and put in the ice in the cooler. 5 days.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome