SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's up with PERKO?
View Single Post
post #38 of Old 08-27-2019
SHNOOL
Freedom isn't free

Dock
Re: What's up with PERKO?

As I would expect, mainesail has this covered.

The OP was expecting a response like I got from Simrad. When I reached out to them, that I was hoping for a repair of my Tiller Pilot that I took full ownership for having broken (accidentally stepped on it, and it broke the ram on it), after having had it only for 3 weeks. I was hoping they could repair and charge me the part/time to replace. They instead sent me a new unit.

I don't really disagree with how Perko handled the transaction, I do believe the letter could have been a bit more "fluffy" to smooth things over. You see you sent them an electrical part, that was obviously failed, and obviously overheated. We don't know what else was in the letter to them other than you were displeased that it "failed."

As a precautionary thing, I also would have ONLY analyzed the part, and sent it back to you with the likely cause. You see, the resulting part could have burned your boat down and by sending a replacement part, they might very well be taking ownership of the failure. Most business won't do that for reasons that may seem obvious.

For the record, I will only own a simrad tiller pilot now. I had 2 Raymarine Tiller Pilots prior to this one, and while they seem more "modern" of equipment and I did have to deal with their CS. They weren't nearly as customer focused as Simrad.

Freedom, a 1983 C&C 32 sailing Smith Mountain Lake, VA

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome