SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #376 of Old 08-30-2019
PalmettoSailor

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSECALL View Post
I was also going to mention the flies.

If you want quiet on the Wicomico, consider Horn Harbor. If you want entertainment there's the Sandy Point. Both might get you out of the line of fire from the Fish Oil Plant.

I'll be heading down the Rapp to either Little Bay or maybe south towards Mobjack Bay or Milford Haven. All depends on the wind.
Curious about entertainment at Sandy Point. I've anchored there many times and usually was the only boat and don't remember there ever being more that a couple of other boats anchored and was surprised to see the complaints of traffic on the main channel causing wake. I remember being upset once when another boat came in after we set and anchored 200 yards away. Since coming to the Herring Bay region I've had my concept of "too close" adjusted for me. Maybe things have changed at Sandy Point also as its been several years since my last visit but Sandy Point was always one of my favorite spots. Never had a whiff of the fish plant there either, but I typically pick anchorages based on forecast winds, so most likely had winds out of the south or west when we were there.

I never made it up to Horn Harbor, but would think if you were going, now would be the time of year. As protected as it is, its probably not a great choice in Jul or Aug, unless you need to dodge a major front. However, If my next plan was to cross to Smith, I'd take Sandy Point for convenience.

PalmettoSailor
s/v Palmetto Moon
1991 Catalina 36

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome