SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #380 of Old 09-01-2019
TakeFive

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

My wife's work commitments (faculty party today, classes start tomorrow) prevented us from anchoring out last night, so we settled for a daysail yesterday. We were both tired from a long week of work, so we let out the headsail and pointed toward Patapsco for what we expected to be an easy reach. We were expecting a gentle NNE breeze, but when we got outside Swan Point we were reading 13-14 on our transducer, which we know to be 10-20% lower than actual wind. We saw steady 3 footers and occasional 4 footer. If I had known, I would have kept a couple of wraps on the furler. We were going 6.5 kts on headsail alone, and went all the way to Patapsco mouth in 2 hours. We turned around for the return trip, and things died down to about 8 knots with much smoother seas, though things picked up a bit again on the east side of the Bay. We were close hauled, planning to cut across the bar at the Swan Point North Range light, but I checked the Tolchester tide monitors and it looked like low tide was running a foot below recent norms, so I got a little nervous about crossing Swan Point Bar and headed down to Green Can 3 to go around the south end of the bar instead. Every boat we saw in that area was on one sail - most were headsails, a couple were mainsails.

We stayed overnight in the slip so we could leave early today, so we decided to make the rounds with dinner at Wheelhouse (our second time there, nice atmosphere but disappointing food both times) followed by drinks at the tiki bar at Harbor Shack. The marina was buzzing with transients who were having a good time and very friendly.

This morning, before leaving for home, I replaced a fender line with improved chafe protection. I had almost lost the fender, which was hanging by three threads.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3162.JPG (217.2 KB, 29 views)

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome