SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing as a senior
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 09-14-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Sailing as a senior

There are some physiological things one can do to prevent or slow down cognitive decline. I think the most relevant is oxygen availability. Sleep apnea is probably far more prevalent than we believe. Even snoring reduces oxygen saturation over night. Try to deal with it, whether by losing weight, get a CPAP or whatever. They also say one reason aerobic exercise is useful is that it increases oxygen saturation, which is good for your brain.

The other thing that I've recently read is potentially useful in staving off cognitive delcine is being a lifetime learner. They think that continually learning new things expands some neural capacity. You may lose some, but make new. Not sure this has been proven yet, but I've read some very interesting articles on the idea. Intuitively, I find many "old folks" are stuck in a rut. They just repeat everything they already know and do all the same things. They don't often take on new hobbies, learn new things, engage in serious intellectual curiosity. I think this atrophies the brain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome