SailNet Community - View Single Post - Additives for 120 HP Lehman Engine?
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 09-16-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Additives for 120 HP Lehman Engine?

Blue smoke is caused by excess lubricating oil within the engine cylinders during combustion. This excess oil then gets burnt and emitted as blue smoke. This problem is usually caused by either:
A worn-out engine. A worn-out engine is likely to be coated in muck. It's also likely to be dribbling oil and be very rattly (not too likely with only 4k hours on it IF those are actually the correct hours). Sometimes sellers carefully clean the engine to disguise the signs of old age. Worn valve stem seals. This is more of a problem with older, non-turbocharged engines. Regardless of engine type, worn valve stem seals tend to cause smoke at start-up and at idle.
I don't live up there, but I'd still add a cup of Marvel Mystery Oil with every oil change, no matter the time of year, if I did.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome