SailNet Community - View Single Post - God I HATE Volvo...
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 09-19-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: God I HATE Volvo...

First off, I'm guessing Volvo does not manufacture the tach. There are half a dozen companies that make them and like the Onan genset engines made by Kubota, a little research may lead you to a source for parts beyond the labelled engine manufacturer.
I second using the engine w/o a functioning tach. We did that for about 5 years, just using a bad alternator as a tension wheel for the belts. But we have solar, a windgen and a genset to power multiple battery chargers underway, if needed.
However, how is it that you hold Volvo responsible for "That happens when it takes direct blasts of seawater racing offshore!"? Perhaps the whole problem could have been avoided with a little care beforehand.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 09-20-2019 at 03:31 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome