SailNet Community - View Single Post - God I HATE Volvo...
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 09-19-2019
colemj

Re: God I HATE Volvo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
You aren't the only one...

The sailing school that I had worked for posted on FB in July how they were GRATEFUL that Volvo was replacing the TWO engines in the 2010 catamaran that they owned. I assume that Volvo cut them some kind of deal, but still; the boat was out of commission for MONTHS, I am sure that there were many phonecalls and much negotiation involved, and two new diesels needed?

Maine Sail posted, long ago, that if he were to look at a boat with a Volvo, it would be scratched from his list of candidates unless the owner reduced the price to cover a re-power. See https://www.sailnet.com/forums/diese...sus-volvo.html
The replacement engines are because of a recall that isn't due to any operational issues at all. Volvo sold engines into the US market during a short period that did not meet the emission requirements, or did not do the required testing. They were forced to stop selling the engines, and had to recall the ones they did sell and replace them. So they retuned the engines and came back on the market with them.

People are grateful because they get brand new engines for free. Pretty sweet deal.

Volvo didn't "cut them a deal" - they had to replace them for free. There weren't any phone calls or negotiations - they only had to contact a Volvo service center and schedule the work. Since these need to be installed by certified independent Volvo mechanics/dealers, any backlog is due to them, and not Volvo. I know several people who had the exchange done within a day or two, as well as several people who waited months - the only difference was which business they chose to do the work. While waiting for a service slot might take some time, there is no reason the boat would be out of commission once the new engines arrived and the boat was being worked on. It is a direct swap like for like, and doable in a single day.

It is funny that people who find Perkins engines acceptable go on at lengths attacking the exact same engine, down to the nuts and bolts, when it is painted green and a Volvo sticker is placed over the Perkins sticker.

Granted, the OP's 200X series is not a Perkins, and is one of the worse engines made. However, all of Volvo's small engines in the past 26 years are Perkins that are painted green.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Previous boat

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome