SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dickerson Farr 37. I have questions
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 09-20-2019
Calmwater

The Farr 37 is a great racer, more civilized than our Farr 40 that could teach me the following...
1. Yes, the narrow keel and the rather flat bottom means a lot of work on the helm going downwind. In general, forget the directional stability of your C&C - the Farr is a wild cat.

2. Not sure what you mean by short handed, but we can’t go racing at any wind with less than 5-6 people and when it blows over 10-12Kts we need 10-12. Also the entire deck lines setup is made for a larger crew.

3. A great racer by all means - probably the best around together with the equivalent Js. No fun for any non racing sailing, rather simple clean rigging and sheets, easy maintenance, very fast to react.

But again, short handed racer it is not.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
I have some questions for anyone who has experience sailing the Dickerson Farr 37. I have read through all of the previous posts on the matter but had some specific questions.

1. It has been said that the boat can be "alot to handle downwind". Is this to the point where it is a round up machine or can you take her with diligent helm?

2. Does she have any characteristics that would specifically make her a poor boat for short handed racing (The running back stays don't intimidate me and I plan on a bow sprit for assyms)

3. what do I not know that I need to from your experience?

My previous Boats have been C&C 33mk2, C&C 41custom and C&C 35mk3. All routinely single handed.

Regards,

Gary

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome