SailNet Community - View Single Post - Additives for 120 HP Lehman Engine?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 09-21-2019
wrwakefield
Cruiser

Re: Additives for 120 HP Lehman Engine?

Debs,

We have a 1982 vintage Ford Lehman SP90 [4 cyl; 90HP] in our boat. We also live a bit further N of you in SE Alaska.

RE: Fuel, assuming it is fresh and clean, confirm the fuel is blended for winter use [i.e., our fuel vendor tells us our #2 (winter) diesel is mixed for -25F (-32C)] You can always add some #1 diesel, kerosene, or one of the anti-gelling fuel additives (available at any autoparts store) as a hedge againse gelling. We installed H3Out dryers in the fuel tank vent lines to reduce condensation, and they work perfectly. [Our fuel tank sump samples are always clean.]

RE: Smoking a little at start-up; this seems to be normal with older Ford Lehmans [or at least with the dozens of owners I have compared notes with.] But I'm talking about a puff of blue at start-up, going away in a few seconds... [longer if colder e.g., below freezing]

In case you were not aware, some of the older Lehmans have a high pressure fuel injector pump requiring an oil change every ~50 hours. It is simple to do. You need to determine if your injection pump requirs this, and if so, do it right away [same oil as engine... Google 'Lehman injector pump oil change' for more details.]

Lastly, if you haven't already, contact Brian at American Diesel [*+1 (804) 435-3107‬.] His father was an engineer on the Lehman marinization team, and Brian continues to operate the well known family business, and is a [the?] recognized expert on these engines. Chances are they may have records about your engine, and they are happy to answer any questions you may have, as well as provide parts as needed.

Have fun with your new boat!

Cheers! Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome