SailNet Community - View Single Post - Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 09-29-2019 Thread Starter
olson34

Question Diesel Fuel Treatment: Multiple Questions

I have been using "Biobor® JF" fuel treatment for many years. What do you folks use to "treat" your fuel for when it sits in the tank all winter, AND as a biocide, if additional is needed?
And, is there anything on the market that will dissolve the remnants of the 'bugs' that do get killed. (Asked because a friend tells me that there is such a product....)

And, what will keep moisture in suspension rather than having it condense out and form little water drops in the bottom of the tank that will corrode the aluminum?

That's several questions and I am not really sure just how related they are!

I just pulled our tank out and had a very small hole welded up in the bottom of the low end of the tank. All is well now. Funny thing is that our Racor filter has *never* trapped any visible dirt or water. This particular tank was installed 11 years ago.
When I pumped out the fuel, however, I did find some little "clumps" of dirt or critters or something laying on the bottom... not a lot of them, but a depressing sight all the same.

My repair guy (who builds custom tanks and lots of other things in aluminum tells me that all diesel fuel will have 'some' water invisibility present in it, in suspension, and this will coalesce out into little tiny drops of water when the tank sits.

Also, if I have missed a relevant thread, perhaps I have not searched the site enough.

Thanks much.

1988 Olson 34, by Ericson Yachts.
Sail # 28400
Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
RCYC, Portland, Oregon

Last edited by olson34; 09-29-2019 at 07:42 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome