SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safety and security in the Caribbean.
View Single Post
post #19 of Old 10-07-2019
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Safety and security in the Caribbean.

Ok these reports are very easy to find and not listening to “ security networks”. These reports are on the internet just google search them. They come from reputable sources. You just have to look.

I am certainly not saying don’t go there. I have been many times (20+) . However don’t be blind to what may lurk behind the beautiful scenery and most of the friendliness shown by many of the people native to the various islands.

We aren’t talking about pirates here.....that’s only a small segment insignificant section of the crime profile.
There are no pirates that I know of in the US or the Chesapeake. What there are issues, are overall crime. Drug crime, murders, thefts which can lead to assaults. While you may ridicule dinghy crime, had you been present when it was happening chances are it could lead to more violent crime. Domestic violence is particularly high in this area compared to many other world regions.

Visitors to the Caribbean should not be lulled into the fantasy view of paradise. The region suffers from the same anti social tendencies that every area has. Cruisers going a shore are exposed to this and may be unwittingly let their guard down buy the “ picture painting” that the area is paradise.

Cruisers who expose themselves to the police and justice systems of some of these third world countries are shocked to realize they don’t have the rights or protections of the LEOs from their home countries. Some areas of course are worse than others. Just like in their home countries. Bribery and graft is rampant in my experience in the Caribbean and present even in the “ nice “ areas.

According to the statistics the drug crime is extremely high in the Caribbean. Drug syndicates use the region and have large networks to move their drugs to the US mainland. Some countries are used to launder and hide the vast monies made. Crime born of drug use and poverty is also high. A non resident on a sailing yacht would be a perfect target ( cruiser) .

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/I...&VChapter1.pdf

https://www.tripsavvy.com/caribbean-...rnings-1488166

https://www.securitymagazine.com/art...the-caribbeanY

All I’m saying is have a protection plan in case. Safety first always

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome