SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helms 24 core repair under mast, need advice
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 10-11-2019 Thread Starter
Cmessa

Re: Helms 24 core repair under mast, need advice

I took a look at the compression post in my Helms. There are two parts to it. There is a part under the cabin floor that is fiber-glassed to the keel. It looks like crap, but feels solid and I was not able to push a screw driver into it. Above that part is the cabin sole, then there is the main post that goes all the way up to the cabin top. I know that when I removed the bulkheads and had no mast on the boat, the main compression post was slightly loose, which is not surprising since there was no load on it. I was able to move it around some, but I never tried to take it out. I am not sure how it is attached to the lower post, maybe the bulk head that it is attached too holds it in the right place? Regardless, I think that this part is good. No obvious signs of rot. Does anyone know how it should be connected to the lower post? There is definitely not a hole large enough for the post to go through. Maybe I will remove one bulkhead and see if I can move the post enough to see more.... There is a grounding wire coming up from the keel, so that has to be at least one hole.

The next thing that I looked at was the three holes I drilled in the cabin top. I attempted to measure the thickness of the core. I used a decent ruler, but I am sure the measurements are off a little. In two places, I measured a core of .3 inches. This was the coring under the mast and to the left of it, closer to where the cabin starts to curve. This part was the driest too. The third hole measured .5 of an inch of coring!! This hole is behind the mast and has no load on it. I am making a guess here, but maybe the thickness was really caused by delamination and a wet core? Could it have separated enough to give me a false measurement? My cabin top is uniform in shape, so I can't explain the difference in thickness any other way...

thanks!
Corbett
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191010_171128.jpg (2.62 MB, 5 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome