SailNet Community - View Single Post - when storing an engine, unused, please...
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-16-2019 Thread Starter
Rockter

when storing an engine, unused, please...

When you are storing an engine, unused, please take the precaution of turning it a little say once a month or so, or if you cannot, then run some lubricant on to the top of the pistons (via the inlet valve, or pull the injectors to do it).
If you don't, the motor is likely to corrode internally and will be very difficult to move, if ever.
I speak from recent experience - a guy on the same dock said he had a Volvo MD17D (mine is the MD 17C) and that it only had 2000 hours on it (it does).
He had stored it in his garage for about 7 years, and i made him an offer for it.
I got it home, but it will not turn. There is a slight movement of the flywheel, but now some 2 weeks later, it still had that slight movement and it is not improving.
I have tried flooding it with various releasing agents via the injector ports, but it is not responding to a breaker bar (or other persuasion).
Things do not look good, and to have to break it is a pity as there is very little wrong with it otherwise.

And all for want of just the occasional rotation of the crank!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome