SailNet Community - View Single Post - Exiting Strategies for Boat Ownership
View Single Post
post #132 of Old 10-22-2019
Minnewaska

Re: Exiting Strategies for Boat Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
The statement about the keys was to make the point that you would probably want to spend considerable time with another sailor who you handed the keys to your boat.
I may want to, but that's the point. You want to, but you probably won't be allowed to with a new partner any more than they desire you to. It's no longer your boat, in a partnership, it's their boat too.

I think your sentiments are normal, just not practical for an equity partnership. You have to be willing to let the new partner make their own mistakes, learn alone, scratch your baby.

Quote:
I realize many people hire crew to deliver a boat. I've delivered a few boats as crew with the owner. And one sister ship of Shiva to an owner who hadn't sailed the boat. The delivery was 4,000 miles!

I think I would ship Shiva rather than hire a crew to do a long delivery. But more likely I would get crew to help and do it myself.
Interesting point. Turning the keys over to a professional, experienced delivery captain, should be a whole heck of lot easier than taking on a stranger as a partner. A partner isn't being paid to do what you tell them to do, how you tell them to do it. I've hired a deliver crew, with my boat, several times. A fairly basic list of thru-hulls, electronics and any squawks or idiosyncracies, such as max cruise RPM, and they're good to go. They spend the better part of a day going through the boat themselves and away they go. Whether via satellite or cell, they can and have called, with non-emergency questions, but not very often. Usually only to check in.

Enjoy your boat next summer and see how it goes, I think you may just not be ready to let go. Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
I am trying to be positive so the negativity is a bit of a bummer.
Everyone in your SN camaraderie, including myself, hopes you find what you are looking for. I almost decided to just stop responding, if you find it negative. However, your friends, family and therapist will tell you the truth, if they care, not just patronize you. And still wish you well in finding what you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome