SailNet Community - View Single Post - Transition to retirement
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 10-23-2019
hpeer

Re: Transition to retirement

My personal experience is that at about 55 I renegotiated my employment so I could take 7 weeks vacation. I did that by taking 36 hours pay for 40 hours work banking 4 hours vacation per week. Later I changed to a part time position and worked fewer hours per week. Still later we rearranged our schedules so that we worked one week on and one off. During those years we lived upon the boat in the “off” weeks.

I was always busy either working on the boats or fixing the house up (4 apt building) for rental.

When I quit completely we moved out of h th e house to the boat and I did several weeks intense work on our old apartment. Then we shoved off.

I never missed work because I have never quit working. I just changed jobs, bosses, and pay.

I have exercised my “No” muscle for many years. Too many bosses will abuse it if you don’t resist.

We changed our official address to a secondary property we own. A very small hunting cabin. That works for voting and drivers licenses.

All mail is forwarded to SBI. They do a good job.

But then we sorta took OFF in a biggish way. Now we are only in the states a few months a couple of times a year. We got international health insurance because Medicare doesn’t work outside the USA. Our few weeks spring and fall “back home” we stay with a kid. He and his wife are greatfully welcoming. That time is generally full with various appointments and necessary visits.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter

Last edited by hpeer; 10-23-2019 at 03:48 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome