SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Carol K
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 10-27-2019 Thread Starter
eherlihy
Learning the HARD way...

Re: Looking for Carol K

If they went just south of Block Island and then set a heading for Norfolk, it is about a 350nm trek. The rhum line heading is about 330. At 6kts, that would take about 59hrs... However, because they would be headded DIRECTLY into the prevailing winds, they would not make 6kts for 59hrs. There are few bailout options along the south coast of Long Island or the Jersey shore, and all the bailout options would be 40+ miles to the west of this rhum line.

I did some Facebook research on the skipper. From what I could read, it seems to me that he bought an old ketch in 2017 and moved aboard. He ended up donating the ketch to charity in 2018 after he aquired the Benneteau. Most of his sailing seems to have been in or around Narragansett Bay. I could find no info on how the Benneteau was equipped, or his sailing education. He had a couple of young kids and a girlfriend. It was the girlfriend that alerted the Coast Guard that he was overdue for check in at Norfolk.

I hope this turns out well, but none of what I could find (above) makes it sound promising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome