SailNet Community - View Single Post - thinking about a trailor sailor
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 10-29-2019
Minnesail

Re: thinking about a trailor sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
1) a well designed and built boat 2) comfortable enough for 3-5 days of cruising 3) fast and easy to rig. This last one is important for day sailing. Don't want to rent another bouy at exorbitant process so want a boat that is easy to rig/derig. Boat ramp just down the street.

Catalina 22's seem a bit spartan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I think the same could be said about the rigging time for a Catalina 22.

The only boats I know of that are really fast and easy to rig are small mast tabernacle cat rigged boats.

It takes me an hour to rig and launch (or de-rig and retrieve) my Catalina 22. I have a lot of crap on my boat and I only do it a couple times a year, so if you kept it simple and got good at it you could do it faster. I still wouldn’t want to do all that for a day sail. In fact I have never day sailed my boat.

Like what ArcB said, the only boats I’ve seen that are *really* fast to rig and launch are the Compac cat boats, but if you think a Catalina 22 is too spartan then the Compacs would be right out.

But I don’t necessarily agree that the C22 is that spartan. We have a stove and a BBQ, a sink, good electric, and a head that flushes.

I think it depends on how big you are. I’m 5’ 9” and (by midwest standards) of average weight. My wife is under 5’. The boat fits us fine. But if I were two inches taller or 40 lbs heavier then it would be a bit cramped.

By “just down the street” — how just down the street do you mean? Could you store a boat mast-up and tow it to the ramp that way? With a Catalina 25 swing keel or a Hunter 240 water ballast stored mast-up you could be on the water in no time.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome