SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake
View Single Post
post #497 of Old 10-30-2019
TakeFive

Re: 2019 Sailing Season on the Chesapeake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry L View Post
About batteries, they really don’t like to spend the winter in the cold without some charging going on. If you take them off charge, you should pull them and store them in a space where it stays above freezing. Also you’ll want to give them a trickle charge every few months. Depending on the size of the batteries (mine are 100 lbs each), keeping a charger going may be worth it.
Terry
Check @Maine Sail ’s website. He presents some pretty strong evidence to the contrary.

Batteries left in a discharged state will be damaged by freezing, and may burst and leak. Batteries left fully charged and disconnected will generally be fine in sub-freezing temperatures. In fact, the colder the better, as it slows the self-discharge.

On the hard I charge up and fully disconnect the negative terminals to eliminate all parasitic loads, which can come from battery monitors, charge controllers, and stereo preset backup. I stick a handheld multimeter on them a few times during the winter, and they’re always 12.9v.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome