SailNet Community - View Single Post - A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers.
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-03-2019 Thread Starter
Guyfromthenorth

A general question on expectations from Yanmar parts dealers.

So I've had a couple breakdowns on our trip south so far. Overall minor considering the miles we've put on though!

I've dealt online with parts for our 2gmf13 with little issue other than shipping to wherever we may be anchored. It's that anchor delivery issue that has sent me to three official yanmar part dealers on the hard. All three have been terrible experiences but all three have been the same issue.

Part numbers.

This is how they all generally went. I walk in. I know the part I need (for example, fresh water pump on my 2gmf13). I express this need to the counter tenant and immediately get asked what the yanmar part number is.

Baffled at what the number is I tell them I don't know the exact number and all I have is the year/make/model of engine and the exact part I need. All three yanmar stores have been taken aback that I don't know the part number for what I want. Two of the three were very rude to me and said statements along the lines of "what do you expect me to do?? Look through the part catalog with you to find it??? Come back/call back when you have the number.".

After my second experience like this I looked online for a 2gmf13 parts catalog and couldn't find one. On yanmars website I couldn't find a parts list either. On the third experience (today) while looking for a shaft seal for my raw water pump I was treated similarly by a very gruff parts guy here in Virginia who gave me the same lines as the previous two. I told him I tried finding a parts catalog and never found one. He told me I have to BUY IT from yanmar. After i stared at him blankly while holding my 3 year old daughter in my arms after walking 2.5miles from the A
anchorage I'm currently stranded in he said "(expletive) fine let's look it up on my system".

So. I've worked on vehicles my entire life and I've never been told by a (for example) Ram dealer, or Napa for that matter, that if I don't know the part number I should BUY a list from Ram and come back when I know the code for the wheel bearing I need...the same code they can see on THEIR parts catalogue at their desk!

Sorry for the rant but it's really been bugging me.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome