SailNet Community - View Single Post - Racor fuel vacuum guages
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 11-04-2019
wsmurdoch

Location: The house is in Kingsport, TN. Boats are on Watauga Lake and in New Bern, NC

Re: Racor fuel vacuum guages

The fuel tank on a PSC34 slopes both fore and aft and port and starboard toward the fuel pickup tube. The tube is in the lowest part of the tank and virtually touches the bottom of the tank. (The FWD arrow on the attached drawing is incorrectly reversed.) I have never had a fuel feed or filter plugging problem with sludge in the tank. However, this year in George Town, Exuma I bought 15 gal of fuel from the Shell service station that was contaminated with water and rust. I put one 5 gallon jug in the tank before I saw that I had a problem. The other two I settled overnight and decanted the good fuel into my tank. I then 'polished' the tank for six or eight hours collecting some rusty water in the Racor bowl before draining the bowl and replacing the filter element. Other than that I've little interesting to report.

I want my fuel pickup to pick up the crud in the tank so that the filter can get it out of the system. I don't want it to remain in the tank, accumulate, and bite me later.

The story is in the June 4, 2019 entry in my wife's blog. https://irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com/

Bill Murdoch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS34 440037-PSC 34 FT STANDARD DIESEL (NO REV) 05-14-18-page-001.jpg (284.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by wsmurdoch; 11-04-2019 at 09:06 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome