SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heat lamps for temporary freeze protection
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-06-2019 Thread Starter
TakeFive

Heat lamps for temporary freeze protection

I'm out of town on business this week, so can't winterize until late Friday when temperatures are forecast to get into the 20s. I probably won't get everything finished in time, so may resort to placing drop lights in key places for the night. My only problem is that old-fashioned incandescent lights are now impossible to find in the US.

Do any of you have experience with alternatives? IR heat lamp bulbs? (Do they get too hot?) Ceramic heaters with bulb sockets, commonly sold for reptile pets? (Do they radiate the heat to another body effectively?) Others? What is safest and most effective? What fits in a drop light? I'm also willing to buy a different fixture to facilitate use of the bulb.

I've done some searching on Amazon (and need to order today to get it in time) but could use some help in sorting through the options.

FYI, heating pads are probably not an option, because the modern ones seem to all automatically shut off after 20-30 minutes.

I'd love to hear from someone who had dealt with this issue in recent years.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome