SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dismasted/1964 Challenger
View Single Post
post #41 of Old 11-06-2019
roverhi

Re: Dismasted/1964 Challenger

Not having a Bimini, awning or dodger is fine if you've got cast iron skin. After two Mohs surgeries to remove squamous cell skin cancers, years in the sun sailing and officiating Futbol I'm no longer a fan of open air cockpits. Enjoy it while you can, use sun block, clothing and hats and you might get lucky.

I found an umbrella setup on eBay for boating. It was an umbrella with a clamp on shaft to affix to the stern pulpit or lifeline stanchion. Looked like a great solution except the umbrella self destructed after only a few uses and didn't have enough range of coverage.

Like weather cloths for cruising. Make it way more comfortable in the cockpit shielded from the wind and give you a modicum of privacy for bathing, etc at anchor. Take them off when I'm not going anywhere. They do restrict visibility to windward and isolate you a bit from that one ness of wind and waves.

Now back to the original intent of the thread. What did you have to do to the mast to get it ready?? Did they ship it with all hardware attached, a step, etc. and all you had to do is add wire and raise it??? Forte seems to be the most economical of source for a carbon stick but wondering how much you did to keep the costs down??

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome