SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 11-06-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?

I can't see any reason at all why anyone would want to heave to when anchoring. It is totally counter productive to the maneuver of anchoring. We sail onto our anchor quite often. As we tack up to the anchorage on our yankee jib alone, we usually take a few wraps on it at each tack so we barely have a handkerchief of cloth when I turn head to wind to drop the anchor. When all forward motion is off the boat the anchor is payed out and Skipping Stone's bow begins to fall off, I roll up the remainder of the yankee and my wife tends the anchor. At the appropriate scope she locks up the windlass and puts on the snub and were done with anchoring and sail furling.
Were one to heave to, I don't see how you would fall back to let out scope or put enough pressure on the anchor tackle to set the pick.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome