SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 11-06-2019
capta
Master Mariner

Re: Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewwhill View Post
Sounds like you are not attempting to anchor single handed. I usually sail single handed. My wife isn't available to tend the anchor like yours is unfortunately. Count yourself fortunate.

If one were to heave to, presumably the one knot of leeway one would have would fall back and set the anchor. Again, the problem I see is that once the anchor sets the boat might tack. So one would have to lower the sails expeditiously.

As I said, I like heaving to when I need to reef, start the motor, get ready to dock etc etc.... I can stop everything and do the next tasks one at a time. I thought the same might apply to anchoring.
Sorry, I did go off topic, however, I do exactly the same single handing. At the point I turn her head to wind, I loose the sheet and go forward and do the anchoring, then walk aft and furl the tiny bit of jib.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome