SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?
View Single Post
post #15 of Old 11-07-2019
SanderO

Re: Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?

I am not sure I understand this thread... but here goes:

I always anchor up and down under power. I have on occassion when conditions are favorable and I plenty of room sail off the anchor with main alone... then unfurl the genny.

I use an electric windlass with up down switches so I prefer to run the engine and not strain the electrical system.

I have remote switches in the cockpit which I can use as well. If it's windy and the bow is blown off the wind the chain sometimes is pulled out of the groove in the bow roller. So for retrieval I run the windlass with only a fair angle.

Hoisting and dropping the mainsail is greatly helped with the boat directly bow to wind. I do this by turning AP to a 0 wind angle and motor very very slowly on that course. I have to help the drop by pulling down on the leech of the sail a bit. If I had less friction in the mast track this wouldn't be required.

I motor on and off the mooring. To pick up I reverse throttle to stop the boat when the mooring is just to one side of the bow for an easy pick up. To leave I drop the mooring lines and let the wind blow the bow off and then motor out of the mooring field to an empty spot to raise the main. AP is engaged when clear of moored or anchored boats.

Usually sail with main alone or motor sail to follow channels as there is often traffic ahead, behind coming and going and some sailing (tacking) in or out of the harbor. I maintain better control with motor on. I unfurl the genny when I have a good point of sail and good visibility.

I have never hove to. In the ocean I sail a comfortable point of sail... even slowly of my desired heading. Nasty seas require that I helm the boat and let the AP have a break.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome