SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?
View Single Post
post #20 of Old 11-07-2019
patrickbryant

Re: Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post

As I noted above, it would seem to make absolutely no sense to try to anchor when hove to. It just makes things much harder to do.
I will also note, that despite the title of the YouTube video, that boat is not hove to since it never loses its bow wave and forward motion. More accurately it is forereaching and again. I am not clear how you anchor when you are forereaching.

Jeff
So if I may, I will summarize your response to the original question: "Anchoring single handed whilst hove to?" I interpret your response above to say: "It makes no sense to do that."

OK, you are entitled to your opinion.

There are times when the wind is so light that I have no choice but to anchor on a downwind run. I infer that the OP means there is enough wind to heave to in the first place.

Your definition of "hove to" seems to differ from mine. It wasn't practical to include an instrument reading in the video, but I assure you, the wind was directly abeam (90 degrees offset from the boat's heading). You may have studied sailing somewhere different than I, or you may not be accustomed to the appearance of a boat with a full keel when hove to.

"... that boat is not hove to since it never loses its bow wave and forward motion."

Or you may not know that boats don't come to a dead stop in the water when they are hove to (why set the rudder if that were the case?). The boat will move slowly forward and down wind. Depending on the boat and keel design, the motion through the water will be offset about 45 degrees athwart toward down wind from its heading. Some fin-keeled boats with very effective rudders can go a little slower - but they never stop entirely when hove to. My boat has a speed over ground of about 1.5 knots when hove to. Any slower, and it loses streerage -- and you are no longer hove to. Instead, you are wallowing around in an unsteerable boat that's "caught in irons". Not a safe or pleasant condition to be in if you don't have a engine to effect an escape.

The whole point of heaving to is to place your boat in a condition where she will tend to herself (I once spent 24 hours in big ocean swell hove to without touching the tiller), where there is minimal forward movement (not zero), and minimal impact from swells and windwaves approaching from windward because they tend to collapse in the boat's turbulence. Stopping all forward motion (if you even can), negates the advantage of the boat's turbulence, making it an unpleasant, unstable, and unstreeable ride.

Once the main starts to be taken in, the boat naturally falls off into a slight downwind run when only the jib is effective. You can see that change by the movement on the sun in the video. I don't define that condition as "hove to." But it is the opposite of "forereaching." After the entire operation is completed, the boat has performed a complete 360 degree turn in a circle, using very little seaway.

We can argue terms forever. I didn't post to engage in a socratic argument. I'm only offering what works for me. Take it or leave it.

Last edited by patrickbryant; 11-07-2019 at 01:52 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome