SailNet Community - View Single Post - ABYC now Law in Canada (pretty much)
View Single Post
post #18 of Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
boatpoker
Dirt Free

Re: ABYC now Law in Canada (pretty much)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
You would know far better than me. My sense is that underwriters rely on whatever standard suits their fancy. Iíve had surveyors and underwriters that focus on propane. Iíve had others, faced with the exact same setup on my boat, not even bat an eye. The application of these standards seem almost random to me as a simple consumer of insurance.

My bet is that if some authority states this is the standard, many underwriters will unthinkingly use it as well.
It has been m experience that few insurance brokers actually read the surveys and of those that do most don't understand what they are reading. There are notable excepetions, BoatUS has people that read each survey and will call the surveyor for clarification if need be. Drew Robertson of Skippers Plan also understands what he is reading, few others do. Witness the surveys they accept .... HULL - Good, ENGINES - Two

I once wrote a survey for a charter boat out of Port Credit and wrote in the report " This vessel will explode" ..... within days this fella had a policy and was taking families out fishing ! Several times I have noted in survey reports that anti-fouling needed refreshing and have the insurer demand it be done right away. It is a bizarre crap shoot.

This industry is a shoddy amateur hour from one end to the other.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome