SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heat lamps for temporary freeze protection
View Single Post
post #25 of Old 11-07-2019 Thread Starter
TakeFive

Re: Heat lamps for temporary freeze protection

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I hope this thread is helpful to others too.

I agree that the risk to my boat tomorrow night is not great, according to the current forecast. But you know what happens to forecasts sometimes. Here in Wisconsin it was 25 degrees a few hours ago (same temperature as forecast in PA tomorrow night), and there was black ice everywhere and it felt cold. I know all about heat transfer, enthalpy of fusion, and all those things that can slow the actual rate of freeing in an enclosed space. To me, this is about more than tomorrow's low temperature - I consider it a "drill" to see how much I can get done as a learning process for a similar need that may arise in future years. I'm going have to do all this eventually anyway, and if I can get most/all of it done tomorrow evening I can relax and enjoy the weekend with my wife, which I know she'll enjoy because our weekends have been so dominated by the boat recently.

Today a Little Giant impeller pump arrived at my house to assist with pumping the antifreeze through some difficult areas, especially my A/C which is vulnerable because the water loop is oriented vertically and therefore does not drain or blow out well with a compressor. I just got in from Menards (amazingly huge store that they don't have in Philly area) where I was able to find all the NPT and hose barb fittings that I need to connect up to all the plumbing. So we'll see how much I can get done tomorrow night and hopefully be done with it. If I can't get to the diesel tomorrow I'll have some low/medium wattage heating options for the night and I can do that during daylight over the weekend.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall, MD

Last edited by TakeFive; 11-07-2019 at 11:32 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome