SailNet Community - View Single Post - Whale Strike, What to do.
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 11-08-2019
MikeOReilly
Old soul

Re: Whale Strike, Are We Sinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Sail New England coast and Windwards. Whales are frequent in summer in New England and winter in windwards. They have the same migration pattern as I do. So have had whales on on four sides of the boat at times. Have had whales want to scratch an itch. Have had whales sleeping on the surface at night. Beyond whales on transit see pilot whales hanging out where I like to fish.
Things Iíve learned.
Porpoise are fine. Whales arenít. See whale spouting go around them. Figure out if they are stationary with calves or moving. Just like with a ship head behind them. You arenít in a massive steel or Aluminum whale watch boat best is to never head toward them for a peak but rather stay away.
Banging pots works as does engine with changing rpm.
Turn on engine. They can turn on a dime and sailing you are slow to change course or speed.
Some think colored bottom paint helps. Havenít seen anything that supports that opinion.
Most whales are solitary but will get together when calving or bubble feeding. If you see more than one whale get as far away as possible. Itís the whale you donít see that will hit you.
Iíve been gaining a lot of experience with whales these past few years through the St. Lawrence and in Newfoundland waters. Lots of pilot whales and humpbacks. And even bigger ones like Fin and (perhaps) Right.

They seem pretty aware of us when weíre motoring, but under sail ó not so much. Iíve diverted around pods a number of times, but I also love being close to these amazing animals.

Last season we had a couple of humpbacks visit us at anchor. Pitch black. Iím awakened to the PShhhhtt ó massive exhale right beside the boat. Then the boat starts rocking, I assume from the swish of the fins. Two of them circled us a few times, I assume just to check us out. Very cool, but I did wonder/fret if they could see our anchor chain.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome