SailNet Community - View Single Post - 110 vs. 135 Headsails
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 11-11-2019
SchockT

Re: 110 vs. 135 Headsails

On my Santana 30 I had a 100 on board and a 135 lived on the furling. That 135 gave us all the power we needed in most conditions. We could fly it without the main and still get good boatspeed in anything over 10kts.

When we started to get overpowered I would put up the #3 and flatten the main with mast bend and the boat was happy and fast.

It the 16 years we had that boat we did not ever reef the main or the jib, although we rarely sailed in anything over 25kts. It just doesnt get that windy around here in summer.

I think changing headsails is much faster than roller reefing a bigger one, even with a foam luff. The foam is just there to provide a larger diameter to roll on, I doubt it does anything positive for the sail shape. Think about the way sails are shaped...the foil shape and draft position are built into the sail. If you roll up the front few feet of the sail you are rolling up that inherent foil shape.

I get that it is convenient to use roller reefing, but don't kid yourself that it is not a huge compromise to sail shape and performance.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome