SailNet Community - View Single Post - Autoroute on Navionics
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 11-14-2019
chef2sail

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Autoroute on Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorsone View Post
I really like how easy it is to move anywhere on the route. Drag the line to port or starboard and it recalculates to show the best approach and path. It's not perfect, and the route needs to be fully inspected before following it, but seems like a good start to planning any route.

The other nice thing is the warnings whenever you come close to a bridge or overhead cable to verify height. It's nice to be alerted to this warning way before you spend too much time figuring out a proper path.
I use the auto route occasionally in Navionics one my Raymarine MFD and I Pad but mainly lay my route manually due to the closeness it could get to shoals sometimes.

I personally like the Navionics as it shows great current vectors as well as peak and lack of current vectors according to time. Invaluable in sailing in areas with reversing current . With that you can adjust the average speed of the boat when plotting the route.

A course into the current will have a different end time than one with all current with you or half time with you. Navionics can show that to you.

The other point is that the course does not equal anything but a straight rumb line, but wind direction can / will change that. Again something you can adjust for on a manual mode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome