SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flexofold prop performance
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 11-15-2019 Thread Starter
SchockT

Flexofold prop performance

I just got the boat back in the water after being on the hard for gelcoat repairs, bottom paint, and a good polish and wax. While she was out I also installed my new Flexofold prop in place of the stock ZF fixed prop.

With the fixed prop our cruising speed at 2500rpm was 7.5kts. Full throttle gave us 8.7kts.

On my way back to the club today I checked boatspeed and found that I could hit 7.5kts at about 2200rpm, and 2500rpm had me going 8.4kts! I pushed it up to full throttle and we got up to 9.7kts! I read that the FOF was an efficient prop, but I didnt expect to gain a full knot on our cruising speed!

Backing out of the slip at the boatyard I found that propwalk was minimal. Certainly far less that the fixed prop produced.

Of course when I pulled in to my slip, the stopping power was definitely less that the fixed prop, which would stop on a dime, but that is a trade off I can live with. You just have to use higher rpms and hit reverse a bit sooner.

I can't wait to get out for a sail and see what kind of speed improvements I get!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome