SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailor Peter Farrell / SV Tally Ho Missing
View Single Post
post #7 of Old 11-16-2019
SanderO

Re: Sailor Peter Farrell / SV Tally Ho Missing

Out... years ago I was involved in a coast guard "rescue" of a wood boat named Owl from Maine. He was sailing tandem with a Hinckley Bermuda 40 who had an SSB and I had a sched with the the Hinskley who reported to me that Owl was taking on water, they were exhausted hand pumping... you know how things go from bad to worse.

I called Southbound II Herb on the phone who called the USCG and then send out SEVERAL planes to drop pumps... finally I think they got the 4th and it worked and they were able to run it limping into English Harbor with 3 more fuel containers from the non working pumps.

USCG refused to drop another pump, having determined that the wood boat was not seaworthy and they wanted the 2 on board to abandon ship. They didn't

When they arrived it was determined that the hull caulking was leaking. Probably because of the obvious reasons.

Lots of reason for a boat to take on water... but not properly caulked planks ONLY applies to wood hulls.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome