SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsheet sheet control and adjustable genoa cars
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 11-17-2019
contrarian

Re: mainsheet sheet control and adjustable genoa cars

For the longest time I thought that I wanted a boat with the traveler directly in front of the helm so as to be able to trim the main.
My previous boat was set up with the traveler aft of the tiller. After having a boat with the traveler on the coach roof (what I thought was a big compromise before I purchased the boat) I discovered that simply having the mainsheet long enough to reach the helm is sufficient for the kind of sailing that I do. Just need to be able to dump the main in the puffs. I discovered that you really don't have to have that 1/2 knot of boat speed that a perfectly trimmed main might provide. I would think that a downwind sail upgrade might be a better way to improve overall boat performance. Was for me anyway.
As to the second point about adjustable genoa cars. I had Harken tracks and adjustable cars on my previous boat and never had any problems with them. I thought they were really a great upgrade.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome