SailNet Community - View Single Post - mainsheet sheet control and adjustable genoa cars
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 11-18-2019
SchockT

Re: mainsheet sheet control and adjustable genoa cars

Certainly having the traveler and mainsheet in the cockpit is far superior from a sailing perspective. It gives you a much better mechanical advantage on the mainsheet, so on a boat your size there would be no need for a winch to trim the main. This is why the vast majority of race boats have the traveler either right in front of the helm, or even behind the helm.

The downside is that it does clutter the cockpit, and limit your ability to have any kind of bimini deployed while sailing. In your case it sounds like it will also limit access to lockers. That in itself would not be an acceptable sacrifice to me.

My last boat was originally designed with a cabintop traveler, and the previous owner moved it into the cockpit for racing. I ended up moving it back to the cabintop because I saw the traveler as a safety hazard for my then toddler son. I just reworked the traveler so that each end of the traveler had a cam cleat and the tails were long enough so I could adjust it from the helm position. I would also pull the mainsheet on from the helm position, although the way I sail, once I set the sail shape with the mainsheet I adjust the angle of attack and depower using the traveler. I only ever used the mainsheet when I was making large course changes onto a new point of sail.

Boats of the era your boat is have relatively small cockpits, so you may want to think carefully before cluttering it up with a traveler if you are not racing.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome